SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF HYPOTHYROIDISM
Do you have people in your life that seem to be all or nothing? When things are going well they are going AMAZING and when things are not going well everything is awful?
This is often what I see with thyroid function as well!
There are thyroid hormone receptors on just about every tissue in the body. This means that when your thyroid is not working well it can also affect nearly every process.
Pure hypothyroidism, ie not hashimoto’s thyroiditis, affects more women than men and its prevalence also increases with age, especially those > 60 years of age. As the thyroid is involved with energy and metabolism signs and symptoms associated with hypothyroidism can appear similar to symptoms of aging as well.
Characteristic signs of “slowing down” typically associated with aging may actually be a sign of an under-functioning thyroid gland.
Other Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
- Weight gain or weight loss resistance
- Hair loss
- Cold hands and feet, constantly feeling cold
- Dry skin, brittle dry nails
- Constipation, bloating, gut bacterial imbalances
- Brain fog and issues with memory
- Joint pain, I specifically see carpal tunnel type symptoms come up often
- Elevated cholesterol
- Menstrual complaints (of all kinds!)- heavy periods, light periods, ovarian cysts
- Inability to conceive and early miscarriage